The pre-school year insanity has already begun. I know I’ve been a little lighter than usual on posting this week – and that’s purely because of all the craziness. It’s a harbinger of things to come – I’m probably going to have to lighten up the posting schedule to 3 or 4 times per week once school starts. But for now, we still have two more blissful weeks before that day comes.
Anyway, now that I’m done waxing philosophic, I want to check in on my August fitness goals. If you want to read the other posts in this series, here they are:
First up, the Fit Bottomed Girls August Challenge:
- Monday: Get two veggies in your lunch. While I did not technically get two veggies in my lunch, I got one with lunch and one with dinner. This counts, yes?
- Tuesday: Share a feel good meme. Done.
- Wednesday: Get blitzed…with HIIT! I completely fumbled this day. I had every intention of doing the HIIT workout that the FBGs recommended, but I didn’t. I don’t even have a good excuse, that I recall. Oh well – these things happen.
- Thursday: Embrace the Anti-Diet life. The FBGs posted 10 different “anti-diet” videos for this day. I watched this one, about establishing a feel-good morning ritual. I believe I’ve mentioned before that I am as night-owl as night-owls come, so anything that makes my mornings smoother is a bonus! I have yet to try the techniques, largely because I don’t want to wake up, so I oversleep, so then I don’t have time. But hey, I have to be on a strict routine again in a few weeks! I need to enjoy it while I can, right? (please just agree with me so we can move on) When I do actually try it, I’ll let you know how it goes.
- Friday: Do your fave workout then snap a sweaty selfie. No. Just no. I am not snapping, nor am I posting, a sweaty selfie. This is as close as I’m going to get, from the at-night 5K:
- Saturday: Walk or run for 25 minutes. Check – on the elliptical again.
- Sunday: Rock out to your power song. Check. More on this in a mo.
Secondly, keeping up with cardio. I did pretty well with cardio this week – four days. Three were swimming, one was the elliptical, and all were at least 20 minutes. I’d like to step it up to at least thirty minutes next week.
Body weight strength training. I did another day on Sworkit (see last week’s fitness post for my review – link at the top of this post), and I did a day of strength training in the pool, as well. My thigh muscles are getting rock solid!
For my third body weight training day, I used a new app. It’s called One Song Workout, and is exactly what it sounds like.
In the spirit of full disclosure, the designers of One Song Workout contacted me after they saw my Sworkit review, and asked if I’d be interested in trying theirs. There are, as usual, two versions of the app: free and pro. I thought theirs sounded so cool that I downloaded the free one and tried it even before they could send me a coupon code to access the pro features. Although I got the pro features for free, this is a completely unbiased, un-sponsored review.
I LOVED it.
The app accesses your music on your phone. You pick a song you want to work out to, and then the app designs a body-weight workout that lasts the duration of the song. Like with Sworkit you get a 10-second pause between moves to rest and prep for the next one, and like Sworkit, there’s a countdown on the screen. It also talks you through what moves you’re doing and when to start and stop, so you don’t even have to look at your phone while you’re working out.
The cool part about the pro version is that you can save favorite workouts so you can do them again another day. You also have access to a “workout log” – there’s a calendar showing you which days you’ve worked out. You tap a day and see exactly how long and what moves you did (as well as what songs you worked out to, of course). It also keeps a running tally of how long you’ve spent doing each type of move.
Plus, as the FBGs asked us to do, we get to work out to our favorite power songs.
My personal favorite part, though, is that at the end of your workout, the electronic voice says “You’re done. Woohoo.” in the most deadpan voice ever. Imagine Siri saying “woohoo” with absolutely zero emotion, and you know what I’m talking about. This made me laugh so hard that I had trouble catching my breath.
That was my week! What workouts did you do this week? Any app suggestions for me to try out for next time?