Things I May Mention

Here are some organizations I’m part of, blogs I like to read about nutrition or health issues, and general info; also here are various acronyms I may refer to in my posts.

AND (Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics)The official website of the governing body of registered dietitians.  The big kahunas, as it were.  But they also have a ton of great resources on their site, even for non-members.  Whenever I talk about AND, this is who I mean.

But You Don’t Look Sick The creator of this site, Christine Miserandino, kind of revolutionized the way I look at my day-to-day life with her article “The Spoon Theory.”  If you have a chronic illness, or know someone who does, please check out this site.

CAM: Complementary and Alternative Medicine. This means treating your body via means other than medication – nutrition, herbs, supplements, exercise, etc.

CP or CPD: Coordinated Program in Dietetics. When you’re in a CP, you are taking full-time classes to earn a Bachelor’s of Science degree in dietetics.  At the same time, you are also completing an internship of 1250 hours (about 20-30 hours per week over two school years, including the summer in-between).  Since you cannot sit for the registered dietitian (RD) exam without completing an internship, this is an appealing option for a lot of students.

DP or DPD: Didactic Program in Dietetics.  This means a program wherein you take classes to earn your Bachelor’s of Science degree in dietetics, and must complete an internship of 1250 hours after you graduate. Once you’ve successfully completed the internship, you can then sit for the registered dietitian (RD) exam.

Institute for Functional Medicine One of the groups I’m a member of is Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine.  I wholeheartedly believe that the entire body needs to be treated when someone is ill – mind, body, and spirit.  This is part of why I want to go into this field – because when someone is diagnosed with a serious illness, they need help on all levels to make it.  The Institute for Functional Medicine believes that too, and provides some really interesting resources.

MNT: Medical Nutrition Therapy. Degree paths in nutrition require you to take anywhere from one to four courses covering this topic. It involves learning about a disease in detail, the tests done to diagnose it, the ways it is treated medically, and they ways nutrition professionals can help with treatment via food and nutritional counseling.

RD: Stands for Registered Dietitian.  Sometimes seen as RDN, or Registered Dietitian Nutritionist.  If you are thinking of seeing a nutrition expert, make sure they have this credential! Anyone can call themselves a “nutritionist,” regardless of the amount of training they have.  But an RD has, at a minimum, a four-year degree in nutrition/dietetics, has completed a rigorous internship in several different areas of the field (i.e. community nutrition, clinical nutrition, sports nutrition, etc), and has passed a state licensing exam. An RD may also have other credentials listed after his or her name, such as CDE (certified diabetes educator), indicating further specialty training.

One thought on “Things I May Mention

  1. Pingback: August Fitness Goals: Checking in on 8/26/2015 | HealthyEmily

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s